Parent Frequently Asked Questions on Bilingualism and Bilingual Education
1. How long does it take for my child to become bilingual?
2. What happens if my child does not understand the language of the teacher or of his/her peers?
3. Will my child get confused? Mix languages?
4. How do you separate languages in your day to day lessons?
5. How and in what language will my child relate to her peers and to her teachers?
6. How will I be able to encourage my child’s 2L development- or help her with her school work if I do not speak the language?
7. I can speak good English/Italian; would it help my child’s 2L development if I changed languages and started speaking to my child in English/Italian?
8. How will I know that my child is making progress?
9. How can I be sure that my child is not missing out or falling behind academically/developmentally or linguistically when compared to her monolingual peers?
10. When I ask my child to tell me “the colours” in English she replies she does not know them; yet she has been attending this school for three years now. I feel she is not learning...